Labels

Thursday 20 June 2013

Tooth Fairies, Easter Bunnies and the Cheque's in the Post

Late yesterday evening, I found myself having a discussion with an eleven-year-old girl about the tooth fairy. She still 'believes'. I didn't know this. So, the tooth fairy had put a quid in an envelope made by the eleven-year-old, which she had left on the coffee table. At twenty-two hundred hours, the eleven-year-old had run, panicked, into the lounge to retrieve the envelope. It was meant to go under her pillow, you see. She was very disappointed when she saw that the coin was already in the envelope, as surely this meant that the tooth fairy does not exist?

*drum roll*

I exchanged glances with the other adult. He looked away, then sat very very still, so nobody would notice that he was there. Silence ensued. She is ELEVEN, and surely far too old to be BELIEVING? And, besides, she had asked. If she asks a sensible question, she should get a sensible answer, right? So, what did I do? I said the following:

"It is of course possible, my darling, that the tooth fairy came whilst I was having a cigarette on the balcony. Or...erm...we could talk about it tomorrow?"

I looked at the other adult. He was trying not to laugh. The eleven-year-old was standing behind the sofa, unable to see the cruel mirth. A laugh filled my mouth and I was overcome with a comedy guilt. We lie, us adults. We lie, then we feel awful when the cruel truth has to be exposed. The eleven-year-old goes up to secondary school in September. Is it wrong to allow her to still believe in these myths we weave?

The Easter Bunny is another one. I have not taught her to believe in the Easter Bunny; she just DOES. And I did not know that she did on the day I told her the 'Easter Bunny would not be upset I have to work as he doesn't exist'. She cried, and so I backtracked. "Of course, when I say 'does not exist', I simply mean I haven't seen any evidence of his existence." Much like Santa, unicorns and dragons. And God. And, you know, she believes in them all. Every single one. She states she has empirical evidence that dragons exist, unicorns have been spotted in woodland somewhere in America, I believe, and Santa, well, he just IS.

I don't remember the day I stopped believing in Santa. I don't know if I ever believed in the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny. None of this has traumatised me, nor has it traumatised anyone I have since discussed it with. That, in itself, is a little magical.

I conclude that when she asks, she WANTS to continue believing in them. She wants me to show her photos of them laying treats and presents and money around the house. And when she skipped into my room this morning, clutching the extra Guilt Money that had been put in the envelope, she didn't mention her doubts. Maybe she is pulling a fast one. A non-existent tooth fairy would not leave a quid for a tiny, manky tooth; a non-existent Santa wouldn't make as much effort on Christmas Eve; and a non-existent Easter Bunny may well forget the baskets, cakes and extra chocolate, and just hand over an egg from Poundland with a grunt. Maybe that's what her motive is.

And for that, I feel she is cleverer than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment